Monday, May 10, 2010

Nathan Hale


I'm in Chicago right now and have figured out how to do automated posts so I can continue to regale you with photos of my hometown (although I'm slightly worried about running out of my back catalog!). This is a statue of Nathan Hale. I'm ashamed to say that, though I pass it regularly, I have never bothered to find out why he's so goshdarn important and how relates to our fair state of Minnesota. I guess he was a pretty important American spy during the Revolutionary War and must have had some enthusiastic fans in Minnesota at one point or another...

2 comments:

Katie Waddle said...

Yeah, statues don't always have much to do with where they are. On top of Telegraph Hill in San Francisco the centerpiece statue is of Christopher Columbus. I mean, he was important sort of in general to the U.S. (maybe?), but certainly not to the West Coast... Surely there's somebody better?

Molly said...

i definitely found another Nathan Hale statue at the Tribune building in Chicago when i was this this past weekend. what so amazing about this guy?